Working of a Basic Pick N Place Robot:
The basic function of a pick and place robot is done by its joints. Joints are analogous to human joints and are used to join the two consecutive rigid bodies in the robot. They can be rotary joint or linear joint. To add a joint to any link of a robot, we need to know about the degrees of freedom and degrees of movement for that body part. Degrees of freedom implement the linear and rotational movement of the body and Degrees of movement imply the number of axis the body can move.
A Simple Pick N Place Robot by Edgefx Kits
A simple pick and place robot consists of two rigid bodies on a moving base, connected together with rotary joint. A rotary joint is a one which provides rotation in 360 degrees around any one of the axes.
- The bottom or the base is attached with wheels which provide linear movement.
- The 1strigid body is fixed and supports the second rigid body to which the end effector is provided.
- The 2ndrigid body is provided with movement in all 3 axes and has 3 degrees of freedom. It is connected to the 1stbody with a rotational joint.
- The end effector should accommodate all 6 degrees of freedom, in order to reach all sides of the component, to take up position to any height.
On a whole, the basic pick and place robot works as follows:
- The wheels underneath the base help to move the robot to the desired location.
- The rigid body supporting the end effector bends or straightens up to reach the position where the object is placed.
- The end effector picks up the object with a strong grip and places it at the desired position.
Now that we have got a brief idea of the pick and place robot, the basic question is how it is actually controlled.
A simple pick and place robot can be controlled by controlling the movement of its end effector. The motion can be using hydraulic motion, i.e. using hydraulic fluid under pressure to the drive the robot, or using pneumatic motion, i.e. using pressurized air to cause mechanical motion. However the most effective way is using motors to provide the required motion. The motors have to be controlled in order to provide required motion to the robot and the end effector.
Working Example of Controlling a Pick N Place Robot
How about controlling the robot with a just a few buttons on the keypad? Yes, it is possible! Just pressing the required button, we can transmit command to the robot to make it move in any direction to achieve our task. Moreover this can be achieved using simple wireless communication.
Let’s see how this actually works:
The transmitter part consists of the keypad interfaced to the microcontroller. Any button number in decimal format is converted to 4 digit binary by the microcontroller and the parallel output at one of its port is applied to the encoder. The encoder converts this parallel data to serial data and this is fed to the transmitter, fitted with an antenna to transmit the serial data.
In this project we are using 4 DC Motors .Two Motors are connected to wheels by using L293D board and another two motors are connected to robotic arm. The Arduino board has one Bluetooth receiver. This Bluetooth receiver receives commands that are sent by the joy stick or smart phone. Switch on the power supply the robot are moves and also pick & place, operated by using joy stick or smart phone. If we are given commands to the Bluetooth receiver from the transmitter as 1,2,3,4 then the robot will move forward, backward, left and right directions respectively.
Another two motor which are connected to the arm. The arm also controlled by the same joy stick or smartphone. When we are sending commands as 5,6,7,8. The arm moves up, down, picking & releasing the objects in desired place.
In this robot arm we are placing one wireless stream camera. It shows the video on the display.
- Our robot can handle dangerous chemicals in chemical lab or in nuclear reactor labs which are hazardous to human body.
- Having a android control facility this robot can perform many tasks that human cannot or dangerous for human to handle.
- With some modifications this robot can be used for helping the physically challenged people.
- Accuracy and Pick and Place Robots:
Robots are outfitted with wide reaches and slim arms, steady repeatability and precise tooling - all of which allows them to be extremely accurate. This high precision capability makes them a good match for applications.
- 2. Flexible Pick and Place:
One of the main advantages of is flexibility. robots are easily programmable. They are able to accommodate multiple changes in product shape and type. In addition, robots provide a high level of movement flexibility.
- 3. Increase Consistency with Pick and Place:
Robot systems have the ability to improve product quality and cycle time. Robotic movements are regulated, so the results are always the same. Quality is improved because of this regularity. Furthermore, this consistency allows the processes to take place.
- Robots are Space-Efficient:
Because they are designed with compact bases, pick and place robots are ideal if you are looking to conserve floor space. Robots can be programmed to move within strict limits - leading to even better use of space.
- Robots Maximize Safety:
Pick and place applications can be physically demanding. They are labor-intensive, repetitive, and monotonous. Depending on the weight and size of a part, moving it from one place to another can be very demanding work. Pick and place robots are unaffected by the stresses of the application. They are able to work without taking breaks or making mistakes.
- Save with Pick and Place Robots:
Incorporating pick and place robots can effectively cut your costs. Robotic precision and reliability allow for less wasted material and more efficient use of time. Plus, the initial investment in robots is quickly recouped - making pick and place robots an extremely cost-effective solution.
- Defence Applications
- Medical Applications
- Industrial applications
- Other than these applications, these robots can also be used in various other applications suitable to mankind.